Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rings of Wild Tea

What to you think of this one??  I purchased these 25 Green Tea Fat Quarters from Fat Quarter Shop, and I decided to make a large quilt that looks mesmerizing and use most, if not all, of the fabrics.  I drew 2 blocks together (the Garden Patch and a Star Variation) to come up with this quilt.

First, I cut my fabric and laid everything out to sew.



For the boarder, I wanted to do a strip boarder to use more of my Fat Quarters.  It is a three inch boarder, so one strip will be cut 1 1/2" wide and the other is a 2 1/2" wide.  I cut them out right away while I was cutting.  (I like to cut everything out before I start sewing, kind of a habit I have.)




  
Then I made all my pieces for my blocks.




Next, I laid them out and checked each square to try not to have the same fabric together at the same time and trying to emphasize the design.




Carefully, keeping them in order, I sewed them all together, matching all my points.  There are now 2 different 9 inch blocks, 15 of each.



Now, it is time to sew them all together and add my boarder trying not to have the same fabrics together.  I machine quilted an all over leaf pattern design.

The binding was made of the left over Fat Quarter pieces.  I sewn them together and hand sewn it onto the quilt.    The total size is:  54" X 66"



OK, that was a lot of fun....I actually used most all my Fat Quarters, only a little left to put in my scrap tote.  While that one was being sewn together, I designed 2 more, one is a scrappy quilt.  So off to cutting my pieces....
.
HAPPY QUILTING EVERYONE......HAVE A GREAT DAY

Check my website gallery for more selections: http://janesquilting.com

1 comment:

Alison said...

i usually don't like batiks, but your quilt is gorgeous! such precise piecing too!