I started by drawing the horses and their saddles. When finished, I used colored pencils to see what colors to put where they would look the best.
Now that I had my pattern, I dug into my scraps. I love hunting and figuring out what fabric to use on small pieces to make them look good. I decided to use my Bali scraps for different bright pieces for the saddle, bridle, etc.
I machine appliquéd them using monofilament thread so not to be seen. Then sewn the 2 blocks together, one on top of the other.
From there I basted my ric rack on so it would be even and not move when I put the boarder on. (I did not want to use pins for they sometimes can be too bulky and get in my way.) I used the ric rack to show the horses off, kind of like in a frame. Next, I sewn the boarder on. Then I machine quilted a stipple pattern around the horses only. Carefully I cut a scallop boarder and hand sewn the binding on so it would look neat and not have any pleats in.
When finished I used “Glitter” fabric paints and carfully made my stones in the bridle and saddle. The finished size is 17" X 28". I am sure she will like this….so to be a surprise……PLEASE DON’T TELL HER!!
HAPPY QUILTING EVERYONE……..HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
Check my website gallery for more selections: http://janesquilting.com