Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fall Expressions

The leaves are turning beautiful shades of orange, reds, yellows, etc.  It is officially Fall and with Fall comes the colder nights.  So, I bought some beautiful fall colored flannel material and made this quilt.



 I got our all my books and magazines and just didn't come up with a pattern that so called "Grabbed me"  So, I lined up all my fabric and started drawing different blocks.  



I decided to go with a 3 " half square triangle, two  1 1/2"  squares and a  1/2" X 3 " rectangle. Then sewed two of each of them together to make a 6 inch block.



But I went a little farther and added 4 of them together to make one 12 inch block.  Kind of like this:



The rest was easy, just made as many as I could with the fabric I had, leaving enough for the boarder.  I decided a pieced boarder would look best.  So I cut two 1/21" X 4 1/2" strips and then in the corners I made four 2 1/2" squares.

Flannel is easy to work with.  I used a medium weight batting and got a neutral shade of flannel for the backing.  

I got the top completed just in time for the arrival of my new long arm machine.  I had sooo many problems with my old one, I got a new one.  I was thrilled.  Well, as any new owner would do, I played with it for over a day.  Trying all kinds of different patterns and techniques that this machine would do.  I was very excited to say the least, still am.  So I then put the flannel top, backing and binding on the frame and quilted it.  Being my first, I did the stipple pattern for I am very familiar with it.  Next time, I am going to experiment on something different.   Oh, what fun!!!

I hand sewn a Dark green binding on and a label.  It is so soft, comfy and warm, perfect for on the sofa.  The finished size is 581/2" X 65".



Everyone needs at least one flannel quilt.

Happy Quilting...........Have a Great Day!!



Check my website gallery for more selections: http://janesquilting.com

No comments: