I started by digging into my stash and trying to figure out what I was going to make. I had so many ideas at that time. I decided to start with this fabric:
I decided to fussy cut a pretty pink rose fabric to show it off in my Dresden.
I decided to make one full Dresden in the center of my square and partial ones in each corner. I also drew a small rose bud to be embroidered. Here is the patterns that I drew:
THEN, I got another idea. I seen this article in a quilt magazine the other week. (I have a habit of glancing at some of the magazines while waiting in line to get checked out at the local store.) I don't remember what magazine it was, but I did a quick note to myself and wrote down the designers name. Her name is Anelie Belden and she had a great idea of another way to use the Dresden Pattern. Course, like anything else, I have to do it my way. Some say that I can't follow directions. Some say I think "out of the box" too much. Anyway, I came up with this:
Again, I dug into my fabric and I pulled out every red and white fat quarters that I could find.
I also drew my own patterns for what I decided to make:
I cut 1 1/2" squares and 1 1/2" X 3" strips along with my Dresden pattern.
Well by coincidence, we moved to Dresden, TN. I then made another Dresden quilt. This one was also all done by hand including the quilting.
This one is a total size is 96" X 92". I gave this one to my Mother-in-law.
I can predict more Dresden's in the future. They are a lot of fun to make and you can do so much with them. In Fact.....PLEASE, don't stop here, go see more Dresden's. Below is a list of all the other quilters that blogged today. Just click on their name to see their beautiful projects.