Friday, July 29, 2011

Sunflower Welcome

 It is hot and I don't know about anyone else but I am trying to think cool . So Fall comes to mind.  I hate to wish my life away and with this heat, I had to think of something.  So I am thinking Fall, cool breezes, brightly colored leaves, etc.

So I drew this small wall hanging to hang in an entrance way, on a door, on a window, etc.




I then dug into my scraps to see what colors I could come up with.  I made my patterns, used  the Steam-a-Steam fusible webbing and press my pieces and cut them out.
I made 7  -  3 ½” X 3 ½” squares out of assorted fall colors, one for each letter.  Then sewed them in a row.  Next I placed my letters in the center of each square and pressed them in place.
I then sewed the middle panes to the row of blocks with the letters, arranged my sunflowers the way I liked them and pressed them in place.  After that, proceeded to machine applique using the blanket stitch and monofilament thread.

After all my pieces were appliqued on, I layered, machine quilted around the flower and in the ditch of the letters.  Then I hand sewn a dark brown binding on.

To embellish, I used  fine paint pens to accent the sunflowers and pumpkins.  For the vines on the pumpkins, I used dimensional paint to bring them out to be noticed.

                                 
 
This is it my:   "SUNFLOWER WELCOME"



I hope everyone is keeping cool in this hot weather we are having.  I myself, go out in the evenings when it is cooler.  To all,  have a great week!!

Check my website gallery for more selections: http://janesquilting.com

No comments: