Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Freezer Pickles

Ahhh, Summertime, the sound of birds singing, butterfly's flying all over, beautiful flowers everywhere and fresh produce.  With this wet spring that we had and the heat this summer, the gardens are in full bloom also.  It is the time of year that we also gather our food for winter.  I made a lot of preserves the other week.  This week it is time to work on my cucumbers and freeze some corn and beans.   I made a big batch of Bread and Butter Pickles and put them away.  The ones that I plan on giving out as gifts I decorate with some fabric.



These taste so good when you get them out in the winter and eat them with sandwiches.  Plus they go good in Gift Baskets with homemade Jams and Jellys for friends.  But today I must do something with all these cucumbers before they go bad.  



I am going to make Freezer Pickles out of them.  Those of you that don't know or never heard about Freezer Pickles....when they are defrosted they taste just like the regular Cucumber Salad.  I know they don't have the same ingredients...but believe me.  They are soooo good!  Just follow the recipe accordingly, (for this many cucumbers, I am doubling the recipe.  Now, don't worry, when defrosted, the cucumbers do not get mushy, that is why you soak them in salt first,  And they do not taste salty.



                                            FREEZER PICKLES


1.   Mix together 2 quarts unpeeled sliced cucumbers, 2 sliced onions, and 2 Tablespoons salt.
      Let stand for 2 hours.

2.    Mix 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup vinegar (use the apple cider vinegar)
       Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar.  Let cool till room temperature. This is your syrup.

3.    Drain cucumbers and squeeze out as much water as possible.  Put them in plastic freezer containers,
       (keeping 1 inch from top for expansion)

4.    Pour syrup over cucumbers, cover with lid and freeze.




When I make mine, I make my syrup right away after slicing my cucumbers and onion. Then after the 2 hours both my cucumbers and syrup are ready.






Tomorrow, back to quilting,  and I am thinking Fall.... With a cool crisp air, falling colored leaves, Pumpkins, gourds ,etc.   Well, I don't know about you but I think this hot weather has got to go........ 

Hope everyone has a Great Week!


Check my website gallery for more selections: http://janesquilting.com

1 comment:

gruvyteacher said...

Oh how I wish we lived closer together. These are lost arts in my generation. Would love to learn how to make preserves, quilt, crochet, sew (better), etc. Love reading your blog and seeing all your fabulous creations!

love
margo