Saturday, June 25, 2011

Part 4 of the Kaleidoscope

OK, here it is,  the final part of my kaleidoscope for a little while.  I have gotten all 36 blocks together.  Each of them went together nicely and all points are matching perfectly.

Next it was time to put the boarders on.  I started with the burgundy.  I put the 2 shorter strips on first.  I sewed one on the top and one on the bottom, pressing the seams as I went.  Then the remaining two strips I sewed on either side.  Again pressing, I found it best to press each seam as they are sewed.

The larger 3 1/2 boarder strips goes on the same way, shorter ones on the top and bottom and the longer ones on either side.  Don't forget to press.  But, since I am not making this for anyone in particular, I have decided to modify my boarders.  I did them this way:

First I measured two opposite sides of the quilt (since it is a square quilt they were the same).  I then cut my 4 3 1/2" boarders to that length.  I then cut 4  -  3 1/2 inch squares of the plain tan I used in making the Kaleidoscope blocks, and set them aside.  Next, I cut 4 small Kaleidoscope pieces out of the Dark Brown fabric (that I used the same fabric as in the Kaleidoscope block).  I then pressed under 2 sides of the Kaleidoscope as shown here:




I then pinned each piece to a 3 1/2" square keeping the point in the corner, 1/4" out from the edge.  This is my seam allowance.  I cut off the access, making sure that I kept the 3 1/2" square, and hand appliqu├ęd each one at this time.



I sewed 2 of the 3 1/2" boarder strips onto my quilt top.  One on the bottom and one on the top.,  Next, I sewed 1 of the 3 1/2" squares to either side of both of my remaining 3 1/2" boarder strips.  Next, I sewed one of these strips to either side of the quilt top, matching the seams.  

This is a picture of my quilt top as it is now, ready to quilt.


Here is a close up picture of one of the corners, completed:



Backing...I took 4 1/2 yards of plain light tan fabric and cut it in half.  Pressed both half's and then sewn them together using 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Then I pressed the seam open.  I now have an 81 inch square for the backing of this quilt.  It is ready to be put on my frame and quilted.

Unfortunately, I still did not get my long arm machine.  It is on order, but, you know how that is.  So I will set it aside with the Perennial top that I had made before this and quilt them both at a later date.

For those who are quilting along with me, layer and quilt as desired then bind as you feel comfortable doing.  I hope you had as much fun as I did making the Kaleidoscope.  When I get my machine and get it quilted (hopefully soon) I will post a picture for all to see.  

I would love to see and hear your stories on quilts that you have made.

     
Check my website gallery for more selections: http://janesquilting.com

No comments: