Monday, December 5, 2016

Chair Cushions for my New Quilt Room

I have been so busy working on my room, getting it in order (which I am seeing is going to be an on going task)  that I am forgetting a lot of other things that I need to do.  (And we know it is not cause I am getting older, lol)

I still have a lot of extra fabric left over from the window treatments that I made.  


So I decided to make some cushions for my chairs.  I started by cutting 2 inch squares.
(Now I never made chair cushions, but seen pictures, don't look that hard)


Then sewed them together to make a large square.


I bought 4 squares of foam 2 inches thick at a local store.  Measured my chairs and cut them to fit.


Then cut my squares to fit.  I did cut batting and attached it with sticky spray.  I thought they would look better (plus more padding) if they were quilted.


Oh my, poot KC is complaining and trying to get my attention.  I got so involved, I forgot it was her supper time.  As you can see, she didn't forget, lol.


After feeding KC, I quilted the top of the cushions, in the ditch of each square and trimmed the batting.


I decided to go with a plain backing.  There is some fabric left over and you never know, I could think of something for it.  Anyway, you sit on the cushions and no one will see the back.


Then I cut 1 1/2 inch strips, sewed right sides together and turned right side out.  These will hold the cushions on the chairs.


OK, I sewed the cushions together put the foam in and hand sewn them shut.  Not bad,and they are comfortable.
But I learned a lesson, next time I will make them bigger, because when you sew the top and bottom together, and stuff with foam, they shrink a little.  (Gee, I should have realized that.)



I just got an idea.   As I was taking pictures, I realized that I don't have a clock.  Now I know what to make with the rest of the fabric.  That way when I am in here sewing poor KC will get her supper on time, lol.

HAPOY QUILTING EVERYONE!!











1 comment:

DeAnna said...

Your new room is awesome and well deserved. You will surely enjoy it. Love the cushions, great idea.